In 1885, Henry Palmblad spoke to an assembly. His speech was the beginning of the Hospital. It opened April 1, 1886,and was dedicated June 26, 1886. It was originally a one-story frame dwelling located at Bowmanville, Illinois. The new hospital was dedicated in 1903 and construction of new and better units continued through the decades. It celebrated its 75th anniversary on June 26, 1961.
The Hospital pioneered the use of X-Ray treatment for cancer.
Before the hospital, this area was occupied by Archaic Indians from 6000-3000 B.C.; under water during the Nipissing stage until about 1500 B.C., re-occupiedby early woodland and upper Mississippi IndIans until modem times. A village of 750 Miami Indians and a French Jesuit mission station existed here in the 17th century.
In 1885, the Swedish Evangelic Mission Covenant purchased the site to establish a home of mercy. At the time the land was purchased, the area was known as the city of Bowmanville. It remained the city of Bowmanville until July 15, 1889, when it was annexed to the city of Chicago.