Saturday, February 23, 2013
The Chicago Nursery and Half Orphan Asylum (Chapin Hall for Children) had its beginnings in "The Sands",now Michigan Avenue. It was there that three women established a home for the children of desperate young mothers who suddenly found themselves widowed and without funds. The year was 1860. The mothers were charged five cents a day. All they could afford to pay from their meager salaries of three or four dollars a week.
During the Civil War the Nursery changed its program of day-nursery service for working mothers to a round-the-clock resident care program for children. In 1811, following the Great Chicago Fire, the children were moved to Burling Street.
In 1911, acreage at the corner of Foster and California Streets was bought and the main building and one cottage were built in 1916. A second cottage was erected in 1931. A bequest from the estate of Charles A. Chapin was used for the completion of the main building with the agreement that it be called Chapin Hall in his honor.
In 1964, Chapin Hall merged with Ridge Fann, a children's home, in Lake Forest and their children were brought here. The Ridge Farm cottage was completed in 1966.
Chapin Hall for Children islicensed by the State of Illinois to care for sixty children- thirty girls and thirty boys.
In 1885, Henry Palmblad spoke to an assembly. His speech was the beginning of the Hospital. It opened April 1, 1886,and was dedicated June 26, 1886. It was originally a one-story frame dwelling located at Bowmanville, Illinois. The new hospital was dedicated in 1903 and construction of new and better units continued through the decades. It celebrated its 75th anniversary on June 26, 1961.
The Hospital pioneered the use of X-Ray treatment for cancer.
Before the hospital, this area was occupied by Archaic Indians from 6000-3000 B.C.; under water during the Nipissing stage until about 1500 B.C., re-occupiedby early woodland and upper Mississippi IndIans until modem times. A village of 750 Miami Indians and a French Jesuit mission station existed here in the 17th century.
In 1885, the Swedish Evangelic Mission Covenant purchased the site to establish a home of mercy. At the time the land was purchased, the area was known as the city of Bowmanville. It remained the city of Bowmanville until July 15, 1889, when it was annexed to the city of Chicago.
Lincoln Square is an island at the intersection ofLincoln, Lawrence and Western. On this island is the statue entitled "Chicago Lincoln". At the base of the statue is one of Lincoln's many quotes. It reads as follows:
"Free society is not and shall not be a failure."
The statue was sculptured by Dr. Avard Fairbanks after the pattern of the model by Lloyd Ostendorf who built the model for a contest to detennine the best idea for the statue.
The statue was unveiled on Saturday, October 20,1956, by Governor William G. Stratton and was financed by the State of Illinois.
The Fredrick H. Hild Regional Library was founded in 1930. It is one of many branches of the Chicago Public Library and is named after Fredrick H. Hild, who was head librarian of the Chicago Public Library from 1887 to 1903.
The library contains 130,000 volumes.It serves both children and adults from all parts of the Northside. The Hild Library is also the home of the Ravenswood-Lakeview Historical Association, the area through which our trail passes.
The lower church was built in 1890 and the upper
in 1895.Dedication was in 1897. The present school was built in 1903. The library was built in 1911. In 1939 there was a fire and the library was restored. In 1926 the present rectory was built and in 19~8 the Sisters house was built. In 1950 there was a fire in the church and the church was restored. 1957 was the Church's 75th jubilee.
This theater was the scene of John Dillinger's death, at that time the nation's most wanted criminal.
On the night of July 22, 1934, John Dillinger was
shotby F.B.I. agents, as he left the theater. He had
turnedto his left and started toward an alley when he was gunned down.
Lincoln Avenuefrom Sedgwick to Fullerton wasmade part
of the city on February 12, 1853.
Lincoln Avenue from Halstedand Fullerton to
Lincoln and Western was annexed byelection on June 29, 1889. This area was previously known as the City of Lakeview.
Itwas in 1882 that Mrs. Julia Porter, the wife of a
clergyman, established an eight-bed cottage to care for sick children, to memorialize her young son Maunce. Shortly after, management was vested in a Board of Lady Managers, the antecedent of Today's Woman's Board, and the name was designated as The Children's Memorial Hospital.
From its inception the Hospital was
non-denominational, open to all children regardless of race or religion. It was also totally free. Not Until 1926 was limited space providedfor patients whose parents could pay.
Today the Hospital still maintains the largest
free-care program for children of any voluntary hospital in Illinois,and approximately 45 per cent of its patient load is aided in full or in part by the Free Care Fund.
TheHospital has grown through these many years
to a240-bed general pediatric hospital, an
internationally known referral center, and the pediatric training hospital of the Northwestern University Medical School. Its eminence as a teach ing and research institution is built on what remains the essence of its foundation: quality care undertaken in an aura where the dignity and sanctity of the individual child as a person is always the utmost concern.
TheSeminary was founded in 1829 in Hanover,
Indiana, in a logcabin. It moved to New Albany,
Indiana,and then to Chicago. Cyrus McCormick gave
thefunds that helped to get the Seminary started here,
and the land forthe campus was given by Messrs.
Ogden,Sheffield, Lill and Diversey. The first building,which is no longer
standing, was erected in 1864.
GrantHospital was founded in 1883 in a residence at what is now 2225 Lincoln Avenue, and was able to accommodate thirteen patients. Originally named the German Hospital, it is a voluntary, non-profit institution chartered as "a refuge in case of sickness or accident for all persons, without distinction of belief or religious convictions, where the worthy poor shall receive medical service free or at such costs as are suitable to their situation, and the well-to-do at such rates as the board of directors may specify from time to time."
Its principles and ideals have remained the same throughout the years. Its name was changed to the Grant Hospital ofChicago in 1918, and its capacity has grown to 327 beds and 30 bassinets.
Grant's medical reputation is the very highest.It was the first hospital in Chicago to a medical audit which has been widely copied throughout the country. The Progressive Patient Care Program, a1se the first in the Chicago area, has been in effect since 1959. It was the first hospital in Chicago to open a school for Medical Record Librarians. It has one of the 290 fully accredited diploma schools of nursing in the country.
They have an approved course for the training of X~ray technicians and medical technologists. The Out Patient Department has an outstanding reputation throughout the city. Over thirty specialized clinics are held each week, covering every phase of medicine.